Thursday 20 May 2010

The pound is stronger than the dollar.....holla!



The other day I was in Marks & Spencers and I bought a coffee. I paid with a five pound note and for my change I received a £2 coin, some pence and something I'd never seen before....a one pound note.

"A one pound note?" I questioned the cashier.

"Yes my friend." he replied.

"Is this real? Are you sure? Is this not like monopoly money or something?"

The cashier assured me it was real, even though I had never seen a £1 note before in my life.

I showed a few friends that evening, and a few said they had not been in existence since the seventies or something. The next day I google "one pound note," after a few clicks I found out that they stopped printing the £1 note in 1984. And then I read somewhere that they ceased to be legal tender in 1988. So wait, had the cashier gave me non-legal tender? Did he rip me off? I don't really mind, after all, it's just a pound - just in paper form. I think I'll hold on to it for awhile.


1 comment:

Stiles said...

eh? put it this way i used to get a quid note a week off my great grandad back in 1980, i mean look at how young the queen is man! it looks to be in really good nick too, is it a fake? bet its worth more than a quid?